TESOL or TEFL: What’s the difference?

So, you’ve decided you want to teach English – amazing choice! If you’ve only just started your research into teaching English online and abroad, you might have found yourself a little bit confused. With so many different acronyms out there (TEFL, TESOL, ESL – the list is endless!), it can seem a bit overwhelming. Don’t worry, everyone feels the same and we’re here to help! TEFL and TESOL are two acronyms you’ll have come across a lot. But what do they mean? And more importantly, what’s the difference between them? Carry on reading to find out…

What is TEFL?

TEFL stands for teaching English as a foreign language. It’s really as simple as that. TEFL is for anyone who wants to teach English online and abroad to non-native English speakers. When students study English as a foreign language, they’re studying it as an academic subject, the same way you might study Spanish or German. This means you’re responsible for not only teaching your students how to speak English but also how to understand grammar, vocabulary, reading and speaking for academic purposes. You’ll be teaching them all the ins and outs of this wonderful language.

What is TESOL?

TESOL stands for teaching English to speakers of other languages. TESOL is generally aimed at people who want to work with learners who are non-native English speakers but live in an English-speaking country. A TESOL course will teach you how to help students use English to communicate in their daily life in an English-speaking country. This will include things like going shopping, ordering food at a restaurant, interviewing for a job and how to make small talk with co-workers. But both TEFL and TESOL can be used interchangeably – confusing, huh?!

Which course is better?

Students raising hand in class

Well, there isn’t necessarily a better course. Choosing between TEFL and TESOL depends on your budget, how much time you have available, and where you want to teach English. Both TEFL and TESOL certificates will open up plenty of teaching job opportunities. If you’re wanting to teach abroad, it might be a good idea to research the specific visa requirements for the country you want to teach in. That way you’ll be able to choose the right type of teaching qualification for you! Every country has its own unique policies for work visas, so before you invest the money, make sure you’re doing the following:

  • Decide exactly where you want to teach. If you want to teach in a country where English is not the main language, a TEFL certificate will probably be better than a TESOL certificate.
  • Research the qualifications and visa requirements for teachers. It’s a great idea to look at the embassy’s website and see what they say about working visas, especially any information they have about foreign teachers.
  • Look at job ads posted by employers to see what skills, requirements, and qualifications they have for English teachers.

In short, a TEFL course will suit you best if you want to teach English online and abroad to students who aren’t native English speakers, for example, Chinese students. A TESOL course will be better if you want to teach English in an English-speaking country. This usually means working for colleges, refugee charities, and community centres.

Good luck and happy TEFLing!

Related Articles

Want to learn more? TEFL form girl

Want to learn more?

For more information on this exciting opportunity, simply pop your details in below and we'll get in touch very soon!

Follow Us

Find Us

i-to-i TEFL
4th Floor, Wilson House, Lorne Park Road,
Bournemouth, England, BH1 1JN,
United Kingdom

i-to-i TEFL is a part of Teach and Travel Group Ltd.
Registered Company No. 7935847.