If you are dreaming of earning money teaching English online, then an accredited and regulated TEFL course from i-to-i is the answer. Join over 210,000 of our TEFL graduates who are teaching all over the globe. Our in-house TEFL jobs team are here to support you every step of the way, from completing your TEFL course through to landing your perfect TEFL job.
*Full price $525. Pay 50% today to get started. Balance due in 30 days
Check out our FREE teach English online guide, that has got everything you need to start earning money as an online teacher – wherever you are in the world!
Not sure if you can teach English online? Take our 2-minute Teaching Online Quiz to find out whether you're eligible to start a career as an online English tutor.
Want to know how much you could earn as an online English teacher? Take our quick TEFL quiz to find out!
Our team of TEFL experts are on hand to help you throughout your TEFL journey. Find out how we have a 99% pass rate!
Every TEFL teachers’ best friend! 11 amazing eBooks to help you pass your TEFL course quicker, learn how to plan lessons and much, much more.
Our in-house team of TEFL experts are here to help you land your dream TEFL job.
From our friendly TEFL experts to our highly qualified tutors, our whole team is passionate about providing excellent customer service. We’re here to answer your questions about teaching English online and we’ll be with you on every step of your TEFL journey.
Whether you’re a student, graduate or working full-time in a career that’s not for you – a teaching English online job could be the perfect solution! All you need is to be fluent in English, an accredited (or even better, regulated) TEFL certificate, a laptop or PC and a strong internet connection. Simple, you’re ready to teach English online!
Good news! You don’t need a degree to teach English online. However, some employers may ask for one at their own discretion. Rest assured though, there are plenty of teaching English online jobs for non-degree holders, you can check out a list of them here.
Aside from a lower limit of 18, people of any age can teach English online. i-to-i graduates of all ages are teaching English online from all corners of the globe – you can even do it alongside another job to earn some extra cash!
To teach English online, you’ll need the following:
1. A TEFL qualification: This needs to be from a reputable provider (like i-to-i!) who are accredited or regulated by an official body, such as Ofqual – and it needs to be for at least 120 hours but the more hours you complete, the better your chances of finding work are. If you are looking for access to the highest paying jobs, then we would recommend choosing our 420 hour course, which includes a specialist module all about teaching English online. You can browse our range of TEFL Courses here.
2. A laptop or PC: To teach English online, you’ll need a good device to connect with students – this is normally any laptop or PC, however, it has been known that you can use some tablets and even smart phones. However, some employers may only allow laptops or PCs.
3. A webcam: So that you can video call students, you’ll definitely need a webcam. These days, most computers come with built-in webcams but if yours doesn’t, you can buy ones that simply plug into your USB port. The higher the resolution of your webcam, the better your student can see you.
4. A headset/microphone: If you’ve decided to teach English online, your students will definitely need to be able to hear you! So, a headset is the obvious choice – although, it’s not a necessity. It’s very likely that your computer will already have a microphone that’s built-in, so you can use this as long as you’re in a very quiet environment.
5. A quiet, well-lit space: To deliver your lessons, it’s important to find a place to teach English online that’s free of any distractions and light enough that your students can see you clearly. If you’re at home, try to sit near a window if possible. Or you can try local libraries or quiet corners of cafes too.
There are tons of jobs teaching English online advertised on TEFL jobs boards, such as, LoveTEFL Jobs (i-to-i’s sister company). Simply register for free and then you can easily view and apply for positions you’re interested in. Fancy being your own boss? You could choose to go freelance and find your own students online. The opportunities are endless!
When you teach English online, the amount you earn can vary depending on a few different factors. These are:
In general, most online English teaching jobs pay between £8 (US$10/R180) and £20 (US$25/R450) per hour or per lesson (lessons are normally between 45-60 minutes). However, if you freelance, you can set your own rates so these amounts may differ.
Once you build up some experience, you should be able to gradually increase your rates – just bear in mind that you’ll be competing against other teachers too.
If you teach English online, there are a few different topics / types of English you can teach, and the earning criteria is different for each of these. As a general guide, you can expect to earn the following:
Want to find out how much you could earn? Take our 2-minute quiz to find out!
Yes, absolutely! That’s the beauty of becoming an online TEFL tutor, you can work from wherever and whenever suits you. Teaching English online is a fantastic way of being able to fund your lifestyle as you travel around the world. You will need to make sure you have a reliable internet connection so that none of your online lessons are disrupted.