Carl Jung once said, “The least of things with a meaning is worth more in life than the greatest of things without it.” Which brings us to meaningful travel. Meaningful travel is the new way to travel and we’re here to let you know why!
Almost everybody wants to travel – you’ll never hear anyone turning down a holiday or the chance to visit a new country. Travel makes people happy but travelling with meaning can enrich your life so much more than just a holiday.
How to make your travel meaningful
To make your travel more meaningful, do things that matter, make a difference and give back! You’ve got the opportunity to change your life and the lives of those you meet, so why not take that opportunity and do some of the below:
1. Visit animal sanctuaries. We’re not talking about zoos or animal parks. Look for places that rescue animals or care for animals that can’t be released back into the wild. We’re talking elephant sanctuaries in Thailand, koala bear sanctuaries in Australia and turtle sanctuaries in Indonesia. Who can say no to cute animals and helping out a good cause?
2.Volunteer. There are so many countries that need volunteers for a variety of causes including: teaching English abroad, animal welfare, construction and many more! You’ll be able to find loads of volunteer abroad programs online. Our Thailand Internship is a great option if you want to volunteer your time teaching English abroad, gain a TEFL qualification and explore Thailand.
4. Immerse yourself in local culture. Leave the comfort of your hotel and allow yourself to be engulfed into the world around you! You’ll get a deeper understanding of the countries you visit if you integrate into the community, participate in their traditions, eat local food and learn their history.
5. Learn something new, enrich your own life! Travel is discovering, exploring and learning, making it one of the best educations you can have, you’ll learn things a textbook could never teach you. This can be as simple as learning about a new culture, or you could learn a new skill.
Why you should make your travel meaningful
1. Your memories last longer. We know your holidays will be memorable and really fun, but how much more memorable is teaching a new language to an eager to learn child or helping feed the gentle giants on an elephant sanctuary?
2. You’ll discover new things about yourself. By immersing yourself in local culture and taking the road less travelled you’ll learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible.
3. It will make you more independent. With no-one to hold your hand or tell you how to do everything, you’ll have to figure it out for yourself. But the feeling you get when you eventually master Tokyo’s rail system or learn how to ask a full question in Thai is totally worth it!
4. You’ll change your life and your perspective on life. By seeing how other people live their lives, you’ll not only be more appreciative and thankful for the life you have, you’ll also have a new sense of wonder and empathy for other cultures and countries.
5. You’ll feel more fulfilled. Meaningful experiences are your proof that you are doing something right and something good for the world. Soaking up the sun on a palm-fringed beach is amazing, but travelling with meaning will make you feel a bigger sense of reward.