FACT: English is the forth most spoken language in the world. Some words we still use are over 900 years old and Shakespeare contributed over 1,700 words to the dictionary over his 52-year lifespan! Hungry for more fun facts? Here are our 10 facts that you probably didn’t know about the English language…
1. The sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.” uses all the letters in the English alphabet. This is called a pangram.
2. A whopping one quarter of the world’s population speaks at least some English.
3. The first English dictionary was written in 1755.
4. There are approximately 1 million words in the English language – but the average speaker only knows around 20,000-30,000.
5. The most frequently used adjective is “good” and the most frequently used noun is “time”.
6. English is the official language of 67 countries.
7. Every year, about 4,000 words are added to the English dictionary.
8. The shortest sentence in the English language is “I am.”
9. The words orange, purple, silver and month don’t rhyme with any other word.
10. “LOL” was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2011. LOL!