Experience the real China spending 5 months living and teaching English in the local community. Scale the Great Wall, visit the mountains of Huangshan, barter in bustling Beijing and hone your English teaching skills in a welcoming host school where you’ll earn a generous monthly allowance. Our in-country partners will be there to support you from start to finish.
Who will I miss the most? My kids. My students have had an immeasurable impact on me, just considering how much time I’ve spent with them over the past few months. I’ll miss the friends I’ve made: both locals (my coworkers) and expats alike.
In my head, this trip is pretty much a montage of very warm memories, and it’s been very worthwhile. In practical terms, I’ve now got some teaching experience under my belt that I can take elsewhere if I like.
Welcome to China!
Your teaching experience
Each school and student age groups have different requirements, but you’ll likely be teaching five days a week, and for this you’ll get accommodation, some meals and a living allowance of RMB2000 (about £200).
Our in-country partners will be on hand to provide 24/7 remote support in case there are any problems, or even if you just want some insider tips on where to head at the weekend.
Before you go
What you need:
- Be fluent in English
- Be aged 18 and 45 years old
- To be a native English speaker with a passport from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
- Completed high school/secondary school
- Be ready for an adventure teaching English abroad
What you don't need:
- Prior teaching experience
- A university degree
- A second language
- 140 hours of TEFL training
- Advice & pre-departure preparation
- Visa support
- Airport pick-up & transfers
- Orientation week
- Tour of Beijing
- Mandarin lessons
- Accommodation & weekday meals
- 5 months’ teaching experience
- 2000RMB (£200/$280) monthly living allowance during teaching
- 2500RMB (£250/$350) bonus upon completion
- Ongoing in-country support
- Certificate and reference on request
What's not included?
- Visas and visa administration fees
- Police check: Approximately £45 for an ACRO in the UK (must be clean)
- Budget: Approximately £20–£40/$30-$55 per week
- Travel insurance